LecturerBSS(Hons) in Economics, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
MSS(with Thesis) in Ecinomics, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
Md. Abdul Latif Mahmud
Md.Abdul Latif Mahmud has been working as a Lecturer (Economics), Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management, World University of Bangladesh since 1 March, 2014. He is currently an M. Phil research fellow (thesis entitled Microeconomic and Macroeconomic Impacts of Remittances on Economy: a Study of Bangladesh) in the Department of Economics at Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. Mr. Mahmud has completed MSS (with thesis entitled Labor Market Responses to Job Vulnerability: a Micro Study in Sylhet) and BSS (Honors) in Economics from Shahjalal University of Science & Technology, Sylhet. Prior to joining as a faculty member of WUB, he worked as a Researcher under Economic Policy unit at Unnayan Onneshan; a Dhaka based Research Organization and conducted research on various macroeconomic issues viz., macroeconomic developments, Trade Balance, Technological catching up and innovation, debt and deficit, Sustainable agriculture and livelihood and food security, Monetary policy analysis as well as budget analysis of Bangladesh. He also worked as a Research Assistant in the project of University Grants Commission (UGC) named “Illegal Fishing in Sunamgonj “Sylhet. He attended several workshops e.g. Research Methodology, Quantitative Analysis in Economics using STATA, Examining the role of internal migration and Economic factor behind family decisions for child labor in a resource abundant area . His research papers (more than 11 research articles) have been published in reputed national and international journals. He has written several book chapters on different issues of Bangladesh Economy e.g. Revenue Collection, Public Investment and Debt, Monetary Policy, Private Sector Credit and Investment, Power Sector: Target Vis-À- Vis Reality and Industrial Sector: Status Quo or Re-Visioning etc. He also participated in various Conferences e.g. National Conference on Contemporary Issues in Economics, Impacts of Micro-credit on Poverty: A Micro study in Sylhet, Bangladesh and impact of sustainable tourism perspective of Bangladesh etc. He writes articles on contemporary issues of Bangladesh Economy as well as tourism industry in different English newspapers viz., Financial express, New age and Daily Sun etc.
Area of interest: Power Sector, Banking Sector, Deficit and Debt in Bangladesh, Industrial Sector in Bangladesh, Fiscal Policy ,Monetary Policy, International Economics and Pollution Haven Hypothesis, Technological catching up and innovation, Sustainable agriculture, livelihood and food security. Hobbies: Reading Book, Catching fish & Traveling
- Sultana, M., Bakth, N. and Mahmud, L. 2013. Labor Market Responses to Job Vulnerability: A Micro Study in Sylhet. Development Review, 23, 43-51.
- Mahmud, L and Miah, M .2014. A Comparative Analysis of Financial Performance of Banking Sector in Bangladesh. Asian Journal of Research in Banking and Finance, 4(3), 28-42.
- Aziz, I., Ahmed, M., Mahmud, L and Sarker, P.2014. Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Bangladesh: An Econometric Estimation. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management United Kingdom, 2(10), 25-35.
- Muzib, M.,Liton ,M.,Sadikin,N and Mahmud, L.2014 .The Target and Achievements of Private Sector Credit in Bangladesh: A Monetary Policy Analysis. Global Disclosure of Economics and Business, 3(3).
- Karim, M., Islam, J. and Mahmud. L.2014. Job Satisfaction of Employees in Banking Sector. A Case Study on Janata Bank Limited. European Journal of Business and Management, 6(17), 70-78
- Mahmud, L and Kamal, S .2016. Current State of Tourism Industry in Bangladesh: An Empirical Study. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Development Studies (IJEDS), 4(3), 285-299.